Monday, April 22, 2013

Nocturne in E flat, Op. 9, No.2


  My husband is in the music room, playing Chopin's Nocturne in E flat, Op. 9, No. 2. It's a lovely, lilting melody, and the perfect balm after a long day of sniffling kiddos. And as I listen, I hear my son approach the bench and say:

"Daddy. Daddy. I wanna play outside."

"Well, I'm practicing right now."

"Why? What are you playing?"

"It's... um... it's...." Trying to talk and play is hard.

"Daddy. Daddy-what song? What is your song about? What's it mean?"

The dh stops playing. "It doesn't necessarily mean anything. it's incidental music. It could stand for lots of thing."

"Oh."

"I think it sounds like singing. Like someone singing a song. Don't you think so?"

"No." J laughs.

"What do you think it is?"

"Well...."

"Does it sound like dancing?"


"No."


"Does it sound like Larry Boy?"

"NO!"

"Does it sound like a kitty cat walking?"

More laughter. "No!"

"Well then what does it sound like to you?"

"It sound like... uh... it sound like... "J sighs. "Daddy, it sound like THE PIANO!"

Silence.


"All right. I guess we'll try this again in a few years."

"I wanna play outside!"

"I'll get my shoes."


No comments:

Post a Comment