Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Idioms and Their Dangers

   English is a difficult language, there's no denying. Who hasn't stumbled over a pronunciation of an 'ough' suffix (Through? Bough? Cough? Dough?)? And who hasn't blushed after hearing someone say, "For all intensive purposes -" ('Intents & Purposes', people) ?
   And then there's my particular pet peeve: "I could care less". The correct usage is, "I couldn't care less", but no one remembers this. Obviously, one could care less, but how much less? And as opposed to what? What kind of power lies behind the suggestion that one might care a bit less?

   *ahem*
   All this to say....

   English is a difficult language, even when you're being raised on it. My four-year-old son isn't the most amazing communicator at the best of times, so colloquialisms can be very difficult for him. Yesterday, while having lunch with our friends Auntie S--- and Baby E---, my phone rang.
   "Hello, darling!" I answered.
   "Hey," my husband said.
   "How are you, oh delight of mine eyes?"
   "I was just checking in on you," he replied, unfazed by my ardor.
   "We are hanging out with S--- and E----," I said, adding, "Oh, king among men!"
   "Are you feeling any better?"
   "I'm having surgery in two days, beloved," I answered, "And I'll feel better then."
   "Mommy!" Spiderman interrupted softly. "Mommy - please, may I talk to Daddy?"
   I passed the phone over.
  "Hi, Daddy!" Spiderman said brightly. He frowned, concentrating. "Yes," he said. Pause. "I'm eating lunch. We - uh..." he fought for the words, and his little nose crinkled. At last, he said, "Yeah. We are hanging Auntie S--- and baby E---!"
   Auntie S--- nearly spit spinach omelette across the table. I managed to hold my guffaws long enough to whisper, "Hanging OUT, son. Hanging OUT with."
   "Oh!" He nodded, too cool for embarrassment. "We hanging out, Daddy."
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment