Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Driving to the Bus Stop

  There's something inherently shameful about driving to the bus stop.
  I could get into the ridiculous fact that the ratio of adults to kids is basically 1:1, and it seems a weird use of our time as a society to have seven able bodied adults standing around for ten (or thirty five) minutes, depending on the bus arrival, -  
   But I digress.
   What I really wanted to talk about - the bus stop. It's only a few hundred yards up the hill and then a little down the next street. It's a pleasant five minute walk, and just the right amount of exercise to make you pause and pretend to admire the dying daffodils (this weather, right??) while attempting to hide the fact that you are out of shape and blowing like a ranch horse.
   But then there are days when it is thirty-eight degrees and raining and the bus is always late and you decide to drive to the bus stop. There, you sit IN the car, and you can wallow in the guilt that come with the cushy life of sitting in a CAR that is WARM (don't you know that there are people in the world who don't know have data plans? The horror!)

   Earlier this week, it was sunny. It was warm. It was pleasant, and I drove to the bus stop anyway. I parked, and put on my super awesome migraine shades and shuffled slowly to where the gaggle of cool working moms and babysitting grandparents were huddled. (I believe a group of such caretakers is a gaggle, yes? That is the scientific term?)

   I joined the scrum.

   One of the mommies laughed as I approached. "Wouldn't it have just been faster for you to walk?" she asked, referencing my amazing parking. "Why did you drive?"

   Now, readers, this is a cautionary tale. You know that annoying meme that keeps popping up on your Facebook wall that reads: Be Kind. Everyone Is Fighting A Battle You Know Nothing About? You know, the one with the photo of a mountain behind it, or some weird little watercolor flowers? That meme is incredibly annoying, but it isn't wrong. Case in point:
   
   "Wouldn't it have just been faster for you to walk?" she asked.
   "Yup. But it would have been disastrous." I gave her my best grin-and-bear-it smile. "I've been on a new medication for a week which causes colitis, pain, and intense diarrhea. So, yeah, I could have walked here, but I didn't think we were close enough for our relationship to survive my, you know, pooping my pants in front of you."

   There was a moment of horrified silence.
   There wasn't a mic drop. Just her wide eyes and my pathetic grin.

   Then everyone began to laugh. "OOOH, that is the worst!" one of the moms related.
    "Just give me your number," the original speaker said. "I'll text you when the stupid bus shows up. Go home until then."
    "Bless you," and I hurried back to the car.

     Look around, loveys. See the people? They are all fighting something. Maybe the people you see are total dill weeds who drive to the bus stop because they are lazy and don't care about the environment, or maybe they just didn't want to poop themselves in front of you. 
    Our assumptions are made so very easily, while our grace is hoarded for those we think 'deserve' our kindness.
    The fact is, everyone needs your kindness.
     And you need theirs.


     So, you know, BE KIND.
 (But don't share that meme on my wall anymore. It's annoying.)
   

No comments:

Post a Comment