Tuesday, August 6, 2013

My Anchor Holds


Thou art the Lord who slept upon the pillow,
Thou are the Lord who soothed the furious sea,
What matter beating wind and tossing billow
If only we are in the boat with thee?

Hold us in quiet through the age-long minute,
While Thou art silent, and the wind is shrill;
Can the boat sink while Thou, dear Lord, are in it?
Can the heart faint that waiteth on Thy will?

- Amy Carmichael, Toward Jerusalem


    I confess that I had hoped recovery would be funnier. I thought the aftermath of unexpected, life-altering surgery would be a bit more hilarious, and redeem itself by providing amusing anecdotes for you, the reader. But this week, I find myself feeling very trapped in a leaky sloop, frustrated by lack of wind and the shore of Wellness that seems very far away. (Did I take that metaphor too far?)

   
    Anyway, I have spent the last week in various stages of embarrassing agony, and this only serves to keep me away from - what I have always thought was - my goal: returning to Normal! 

    This surgery has not precipitated a series of hilarious events, but it has brought one hundred gentle moments of love. My son, the Nutrition Police of the previous post, helped his father to purchase ice cream at the store and brought it to me announcing, "Here, Mommy! This will make your tummy better!" I have passed more precious hours in cuddling with my children than 'ordinary' life would allow. My friends and family have showered me in love and blessings (like doing the dishes).

    I have always been taught that 'in our weakness, He is strong', but I wasn't in a desperate hurry to be weak. And when I found WEAK plastered on my forehead a few weeks ago, I thought that HE would be strong in miracles, or thunder, or something amazing (and funny, if possible. The blog monster needs feeding).  But I found Him to be a strong cup of tea brewed by my best friend, or a strong cleaner applied to my floor by friend Bear, or my strong brother who could pick up the caterwauling Princess when I could not.

   There is no outboard motor in my boat. (I checked). My Lord can sleep amid any furious sea, and bids me rest in faith with Him. And while I doubt I'll be able to stop chafing today, or even tomorrow, I will cling to the fact that He is in the boat.
    And my Anchor holds.



2 comments:

  1. For what it's worth, I feel your pain. Well, okay, actually I guess I feel MY pain, but we're in sync with this I-wanna-feel-better-NOW thing.
    Being a convalescent is not funny--you got that right.
    Love you, girl--and I adore your fan-fiction entry, btw. Go Oywen!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mama Jill - shouldn't we convalesce together? If only I could meet you somewhere for tea - we'd talk and nap and read and be useless and not feel at all guilty that way. At least, not for a little while.
      I'm so glad you liked Nurse's Persuasion! xoxox

      Delete