Sunday, August 18, 2013

Slogans are Stupid

At three in the morning, very few things make sense.

Marketing slogans on yogurt, for example.

   If you lie awake long enough, with a well-meaning cat breathing halitosis into your ear, you start to lose a sense of reality. Perhaps, you think, a snack will fix this. A little nibble will surely solve what three hours of counting sheep and tossing and turning hasn't accomplished.

(The body can't physically stay awake forever... right?)

   This morning, I descended the stairs at nearly-four-a.m. with the hope that an organic raspberry yogurt would quiet the lingering resentment of this mortal body long enough for my brain to shut down entirely. But when I pulled the small cup from the back of the refrigerator, a bold and unreasonably perky font glared up at me and asked:


"LIKE TALKING FOOD?"


- and my first thought was, "No. No one would like that. Talking food - that's just creepy - oh, wait. Right."

An easy enough mistake, right? (Just humor the crazy tired person - 'Yes, yes, an easy mistake'.)

And seriously, how hard could it be for Stonyfield's online promoters to honor syntax and type: 'Do you like talking about food'? Don't they care that zombified customers are being maliciously and momentarily startled?

The moral of the story is: Don't end sentences with a preposition. But for pity's sake, please use them!

1 comment:

  1. I whole heartedly agree. My first thought when reading that statement was also "What?! NO. Why would I want that?" And it's not even morning here. What's my excuse?

    ReplyDelete